Gold Coast, Australia
Josh is a passionate traveler with a strong desire for thrill seeking adventure, in constant search of raw, wild, remote destinations and moments of clarity and pure bliss with mother nature to capture and share with the world - never, stop, exploring.
10 Questions with Josh
1. WHAT GOT YOU STARTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY?
I remember from a young age trying to figure out how a camera physically worked, not understanding intrigued me and left longing to know more.
After I received a camera for my 12th Birthday I began seeing the world around from a new perspective. I grew a strong appreciation for light, understanding its relationship and relevance with the earth and every living thing on it.
10+ years later I am still just as fascinated by the ability to freeze a particular moment in time. To be able to hold onto that memory forever, recalling on it at anytime, unchanged as it were - still seems like magic to me.
2. FEAR OF?
Sitting in my rocking chair as an old man, swinging life away thinking that I didn’t make the absolute most of my life or enjoy every moment of it – it’s this fear that keeps me wanting more and drives me to make the most of every opportunity I get.
3. WHAT IS ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?
I’d be pretty happy to just continue travelling & experiencing the world, maybe a couple of photographs along the way with hopes of achieving enlightenment before I expire.
4. IF YOU COULD LEARN ANYTHING, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Teleportation, definitely how to teleport – imagine the places you could see in a day?
5. PLACE YOU WANT TO VISIT BEFORE YOU DIE?
I can’t narrow this one down but top 3 would have to be:
• Pyramids Of Giza
• Amazon Jungle
6. DOGS OR CATS?
Moo Moo (my pet Moodle) over everything.
7. WHAT IS THE SCARIEST AND/OR HARDEST THING YOU'VE DONE?
I have put myself in too many gnarly situations that have scared the S#%^ out of me or almost killed me but here’s 3:
• Freediving with 10ft sharks (no cage) in rough open waters 40kms offshore Haliewa in Hawaii.
• Climbing 2672km in elevation up the steep snow covered, volcanic rock peak of Mt Ruapehu in New Zealand reaching its Volcanic Crater Lake before snowboarding back down.
• Trekking through the extremely dense Bolaven Plateau Jungle in Laos for 4 days sleeping in trees, covered in mud, leeches and soaking wet from the rain.
Looking back these were actually the best times, I love doing things that make you feel alive.
8. EARLY BIRD OR NIGHT OWL?
Can I say both?
I really don’t get enough sleep – late night sessions on my PC editing / emailing (currently writing this at 12:30AM) & up early to drink coffee, listen to the birds chirp, eat bacon and basically just crush the day.
9. FAVOURITE PLACE THAT YOU'VE TRAVELLED?
Steep mountains, lush rainforest, gushing waterfalls, active volcanoes, beautiful beaches, big waves and a laid back lifestyle – who doesn’t love the islands of Hawaii!
10. FAVOURITE QUOTE?
“Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have” – Eckhart Tolle